Do interior designers need insurance? Here’s 4 ways it helps

When you’re working in someone else’s home the way an interior designer does, there’s a lot that can go wrong that you could be liable for.

Redesigning someone’s interior space may mean moving around their personal possessions and furniture as well as working on heavier-duty home renovation projects like interior painting, room remodeling, and more.

It’s easy enough for someone to get injured or for something to be unintentionally destroyed through this process, though, and you could be found to be at fault for whatever goes wrong. That’s why the answer to the question “do interior designers need insurance?” is a resounding “YES!”

In this blog post, we’ll cover some specific types of insurance any interior designer should have before starting work on their next project.


Property damage in a workplace for renovations and similar projects is always a risk, especially when working with a team on physical tasks, and it’s no different for an interior designer.

That’s why it’s important for you to invest in insurance that covers property damage before starting work on your next project. It’s especially important if you’re operating independently as a contractor or sole proprietorship, as it’s much more daunting to face the costs of damaged property when you’re forced to cover it with your own funds.

General Liability

Property damage, as well as bodily injury and advertising damage, is also often covered under a commercial general liability (CGL) insurance plan.

Injuries can happen during the course of any interior design job due to unexpected physical risks in the project workplace, whether it’s insecure fixtures, furniture or appliance-related accidents, or another situation. Advertising damage is a possibility for any project taking place in a commercial space.

If your work, for whatever reason, fails to capture a client’s intended vision in such a manner as to actually put off potential customers or business partners, it can be said that you’ve damaged that client’s reputation or ability to do business. Your insurance coverage needs to protect you from this kind of situation if it arises.

Workers Compensation

The need for workers compensation coverage is also relevant to the risk of injuries in an interior design workplace. If someone employed by your business is injured on the job, you need to be able to help cover the costs of medical attention and time off the job.

The cost of neglecting this part of your insurance needs could come in the form of a lawsuit over workplace conditions. While it’s obviously essential to have your employees prepared for any reasonable physical risks involved with each project they work on, there’s no way to eliminate those risks entirely given the nature of the job, making it crucial to have a safety net in place for your workers in the event that they’re harmed while working.

Auto Coverage

Interior design is a career that involves working in many different spaces over time, and in many cases, a car is how you’re going to get there.

It’s generally a legal requirement to have car insurance, but it’s also worth considering that if you’re involved in an accident, costs like repairs and medical bills can do serious damage to your business’ finances if you’re uninsured. For that reason, auto insurance is a must for any interior designer.

Stay covered with the villaNOVA HomeStaging Guard program

The HomeStaging Guard program from villaNOVA Insurance Partners offers coverage for every risk listed in this blog post.

With $4,000,000 in business general liability coverage, a low policy deductible, and a range of other perks, you’ll get everything you need to protect your interior design business against the biggest threats to your business. If you’re ready to learn more, contact us now!